Monday, January 3, 2011

the end of oh-ten.

well, i guess my plan to post more during this winter break didn't come to fruition. i've been too busy doing the following:

1. watching trashy reality shows, including just about everything on VH1, MTV, E!, and Bravo. (ps. have you ever seen the show My Life as Liz? it's more of a quasi-documentary teen drama than a reality show. i fell in love with it during the first season, and the second season is starting soon. hulu!)

2. watching season 1 of Glee. santa brought it to me in my stocking, and i've been enjoying remembering last season's episodes and watching some for the first time.

3. spending time with my family. we had a lovely time in tennessee. it snowed on christmas eve, so we woke up to a white christmas! it was pretty magical. spending time with my brother and sister is something i cherish, and i've been able to do a little bit of that over the past couple weeks, too.

(my cousin jamie, sister trisha, and me on christmas morning)

4. reading for pleasure. i have missed reading over the course of the fall semester -- well, reading material besides scholarly articles and textbooks, as interesting as they may be. i bought some books and started A Widow for One Year by John Irving, but then lauren let me borrow The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon, so i put the other one on hold.

5. working at the coffee shop. i haven't worked as much as i thought i would, but it's ok. it's given me time to relax and make a little money, too.

naps have been abundant. also free food. and noontime sleep-ins. i've been such a lazy bum! i have my priorities, you know.

*          *          *

i used to publish a list of my top 10 albums of the year. i don't do it anymore because it's pretty intimidating, especially because i am often behind when it comes to music. it's expensive to stay on top of things when it comes to music! i have to pick and choose on a budget, but i do my best. 

i guess i'll give it a whirl and share some of my favorite 2010 music with you. i'm not claiming that these are the best -- just ones that i like, and you might, too. in no particular order: 

arcade fire - the suburbs

the national - high violet

ryan adams & the cardinals - III/IV

vampire weekend - contra

husband&wife - proud flesh

band of horses - infinite arms

she & him - volume II

moneybrother - real control

girl talk - all day

hanson - shout it out

local natives - gorilla manor


ra ra riot - the orchard

i'm still trying to hammer down my resolutions. i've committed to too many things to actually succeed, so i need to narrow it down and try to focus. i started off 2011 with a negative attitude, but i know that this year will be another adventure and one in which i will grow and continue to become the person God has created me to be. school starts back up a week from today. whew! 

here's to you, new year. (clink!)

No comments:

Post a Comment