Monday, October 18, 2010

spinning their stories.

when i think about how long it's been since i have been crafty, it makes me sad. grad school's not kidding around. it's major. i have had quite a few projects already that have kept me extremely (and surprisingly) busy. 

because hair treasures is on a forced hiatus, it seems, along with all other projects, i thought i would share some of the creative work i've been able to do in my classes. i am by no means posting my work because i think it's award-winning -- these are really my first attempts. i just thought it might be fun to share the journey as channel my crafting creativity into print design. 

assignment: create a cover and four-page magazine spread. 

programs used: Adobe InDesign & PhotoShop

disclaimer: the woman in the photos is not the actual woman interviewed in the story. all other info in the spread is true, though, if you should happen to browse the actual text.

this is my cover. i wanted it to look fall-timey so i found a picture of leaves and a fuzzy acorn. the "local spotlight" is a teaser for the rest of my project.

these are the first two pages of my four-page spread, so just imagine that this folds down the middle a la magazine. i fell in love with this giant yarn, especially the yellow, so there is yellow all over the rest of the project. 
i wrote the story for another class but wanted to use it in my design, so if you want to read about ladies who spin their own yarn, go right ahead. 

these are the last two pages of the spread. again, just imagine a line down the middle. i knew i wanted to do a spinning wheel diagram because the parts have crazy names! everything here is fairly simple, but i like the way it turned out. 
(i still need to get myself to yarns unlimited and in a yarn basket! i also still need to learn how to knit and/or crochet. oops.)

i had a wonderful time interviewing the ladies for this story. i stumbled upon them one saturday morning and spent a couple hours with them. they gave me a homemade drop spindle and some wool so i could make my own yarn. it's still sitting on my desk, but hopefully i can spin it like a pro sometime soon! 

thanks for checking up on me. hopefully i will be back soon! enjoy fall. 


3 comments:

  1. Tara! I am so impressed with your design skills!!!!! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just renewed my subscription to Bloomington Monthly, so I'm pretty happy right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am way beyond impressed. Lucky you, going to school and loving what you are doing. Seeing you soon in Tenn!
    Love, Aunt Pammy

    ReplyDelete